This estimation process takes into account a few parameters:
1. The traffic profile is predefined as IMix with an average Frame = 485.5 Bytes and donates ~ 87% L2 efficiency and the following frame size distibution:
2. The filesystem overhead (~ 0.5% of the available Storage Capacity) is neglected.
3. The reserved space for the capture engine configurations (e.g. indexing, timeline statistics DB, ... etc) is neglected.
4. The file count and file format overhead (eg. .pcap .pcapng) are neglected.
5. The capture interfaces are capturing the recieved traffic only (Rx).
6. The calculations are done on L2 where the frame size includes the FCS. Where IFG is 12 Bytes, preamble 7 Bytes and 1 Byte frame delimiter.
7. 1 GB is 1,000,000,000 Bytes which corresponds to the value declared by drive manifacturers (not as declared by the OS).